Photo

Which is the Best eCommerce platform in 2013?

Best eCommerce

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:12 PM

I need to develop an eCommerce Site. I am rather confused which platform to use as there are plethora of options. Should I use magento, OsCommerce, prestashop, Woocart in Wordpress etc. as there are more than 20 open source options I think.

#2 Kristina

Kristina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

As for my personal opinion, you should go with Magento, PrestaShop or VirtueMart. Those are excellent CMSs to work with, featuring a range of powerful built-in features.

#3 Mike123

Mike123

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

When choosing an eCommerce platform you have to ask yourself one very serious question. What do i want it to do? spend some time outling what your business needs. then take an in-depth look at the platforms available. use the live demos get a good feel of the services available to you. figure out how you will #provide your service/products through the shopping cart the #2 what customer relationship management features are there for you? #3 Finance and accounting. can you track and get quality reports?

after waying these points you will be in a better place to make the decision to choose the a Shopping cart for your business. how ever i receommend Zencart as what ever features are lacking, you can install it quick and easily.

if you want you can check out my website where we have a complete Ecommerce solution where you get Free E commerce cart installation, seo,web design, Web hosting and internet marketing support in one low monthly price. our site is millionclarke.com

#4 John

John

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

I've used both Magento and Prestashop online shops; depending on what modules you want to utilize to expand standard shopping cart features both eCommerce applications has I would opt for Prestashop. You'll find a lot of modules available for Prestashop that Magento either doesn't have or are more expensive compared to Prestashop. You can also always hire an expert developer for either shopping cart but the utlimate decision is yours on which you chose. You can also opt for a paid shopping cart like Magento Go, Prestabox (paid version of Prestashop), or other paid shopping carts but if you're not familiar with PHP or even HTML5/HTML & CSS3/CSS you'll still need to hire a developer to help you make changes to the default theme or making a custom theme.

#5 Armin

Armin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

I've used Magento in the past with success, my only complaint would be that it is hardware intensive and tends to throw 404's if hosted in a shared environment. A new ecommerce CMS on the market is called ePages and it's very easy to use, it's not free but I highly recommend it.

#6 Mike123

Mike123

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

You will find with most of the open source options that you will either:
1. Need to hire a developer anyway to make it do what you want.
2. Need to spend money on themes or extensions to make it do what you want.

2. is generally the cheaper option.

If you plan on doing all of the development yourself Magento can be difficult to pick up. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they were already experienced with PHP development. Community help is very limited as well as the owners really want you to move onto a paid version.

osCommerce seems to be taking years to bring out a new version and I don't have trust that development will speed up in the future - but the community there was always brilliant.

I currently find Woocommerce the best option. The actual cart is free but you have to buy some of the better themes and some of the useful functionality. Haven't had much need of support though so can't comment on that.

And finally, Zen Cart - never used it but have heard good tings about it.

#7 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Since this thread seems to be the most involved, I'll post what I've learned here.

Wordpress w/ Whatever Paid/Free Plugin for Commerce You Want - These are a great and most cost effective way to start selling stuff. However, they are typically limited on payment gateways in regards to functionality. Expect to spend more time setting this commerce store up than any other option out there. The biggest downer, UPGRADES, regular WordPress updates break some aspects of your commerce platform and if you don't patch then you open your store up to security threats. The constant need to update and make sure the company I got my commerce plugin from updates, was what drove me to find alternatives.

Magento - I see so many people suggesting this, but the last time I used it, it was just too complicated to get rolling. If you do the Magento GO then the cost is too much, compared to alternatives out there. So which are people recommending, the Magento GO, the Magento Free, or Enterprise? 200mb storage, 4gb of bandwidth, seems real limiting for a start up type ecommerce store. I guess if you have a ton of items and HUGE volume then they might be the way to go, since they don't charge transaction fees.

Bigcommerce - Probably the best priced option out there, because they don't charge transaction fees, if you use a 3rd party payment provider. I considered going with them, except they do not offer a flexible, built-in blogging platform to accompany your store. Everything looks awesome that they provide, but having a BLOG and content delivery system is extremely important and vital to my marketing strategy.

Shopify - This is probably who I'm going to go with. I dont' like the idea that they charge a transaction fee if I don't use them as a processor, but I can live, as they are competitive with their rates. As a hosted solution, that's secure, and within .5% of the fees I'm paying at PayPal, it seems like a great option. Unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth, offers a hosted blogging solution, and is well known for their stores speeds. I've yet to see a compelling reason to look elsewhere, especially the parroted Magento. Unless I'm missing something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users